This recipe was inspired by a gluten free pistachio cake a friend gifted me. I came up with my own healthy version, and pair it with my lemon butter as a delicious accompaniment. It is a firm family favourite.
- 350 grams Diced apples (skin on) (Approximately 2 large apples. Pulse a few times in a food processor to save time.)
- 1 cup Pistachios (Grind finely in food processor.)
- 1 cup Almond meal
- 1 tspn Gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup (Reduce depending on taste.)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tspn Vanilla essence
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 160 C / 320 F
- Prepare a 20cm baking tin with baking paper lining the base and sides of the tin.
- Combine pistachio meal, almond meal, baking powder, olive oil, maple syrup, lemon zest, vanilla and eggs.
- Mix through until well combined.
- Fold in the apples.
- Press the cake mixture carefully into the tin, making sure all the apples are pressed down firmly into the mix.
- Bake for 60- 80 minutes – check after 45 minutes to make sure the cake is still ok and that the oven temperature is good.
- Rest in the tin for 30 minutes before removing.
Serve with lemon curd and coconut yogurt. In place of a 20cm baking tin, I use a silicone 12 cup mini loaf pan. This provides single serves, and a convenient size to freeze. Cooking time is also reduced to 30 minutes.