Lemon butter is a family dessert staple for us. It's so easy to make, and can be used to add an extra zing to your healthy desserts. My favourite ways to use lemon butter are:– served with avocado chocolate mousse– as a filling for a lemon tart– layered with fruit and coconut yogurt as a parfait– served with pistachio cakeHere is my healthy version of lemon butter.
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup Grass fed butter (or coconut oil, or ghee)
- Pinch salt
- In a small saucepan whisk together eggs, maple syrup, lemon juice, zest and salt.
- Add the butter, place saucepan on burner at medium low heat.
- Continue to whisk for eight minutes or so as the mixture thickens.
- Let cool, transfer to a clean jar and store in the fridge.
Works well with limes. You can strain the curd, but I prefer to keep the zest in the mixture.