When my kids were growing up, they were not always keen to eat vegetables, so I looked for ways of making vegetables more interesting and fun. Here is one of my successes.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini (squeeze out excess liquid)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas (or cooked fresh peas)
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 cup grated goats cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 200oC (390oF) fan forced.
- Peel the potatoes, cut in half, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- When cooked a sharp knife will go easily into the potato to the centre. Strain, then mash with the ghee and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the carrot, zucchini, peas, parsley and goats cheese to the mashed potato and mix thoroughly. Feel free to use your hands. The mixture should be sticky.
- Shape 2 tablespoons of the mixture into sausage shapes and place on a non-stick tray under the grill. Grill until golden brown taking care the keep the sausages in shape.
- Place sausages on a plate with some healthy (low sugar) tomato sauce and enjoy.
- If you don’t eat dairy, you can add an egg to bind the mixture and brush with olive oil to get the golden grilled finish.
- You can try different vegetables and herbs, whatever you have at hand in the fridge that you think will work.
- For a quick tomato sauce, I take a tablespoon of tomato paste, ¼ teaspoon of ground allspice, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a little water to get the desired consistency. You may like to play around with the quantities to get the flavour you like.